Context Driven Testing (CDT) accentuates project appropriate application of skill and judgment. CDT adds to the dapper testing of any software or app. Context driven software testing methodology matches the framework of the project. But the question still remains intact— What is Context Driven Testing? To answer, Context Driven Testing is resourceful and continuous assessment of testing and projection of latent information and its significance. It emphasizes on skill, not procedure. It is a set of standards about assessment methodology. It overrules the traditional modus operandi of tests. In Context Driven Testing, each testing situation is considered exceptional in important ways and handled accordingly.
Essentials of CONTEXT DRIVEN TESTING
Following are the four essentials of a successful Context Driven Testing:
- Testing should be Context Cognizant: As mentioned earlier, the tester should have harmony with the various aspects of testing for the betterment of software or app.
- Testing should be Milieu Specific: Testing methodologies should be capable of coping with frequent changes and open to adjustments.
- Testing should be Framework Imperial: With the changes in entities, the solutions to the tests should be unchanged. A solution is considered to be a failure if it doesn’t solve the problem.
- Testing should be context driven: The dynamics of the testing problems should be crystal clear.
Ways to coerce Context Driven Testing
- Project Detail Requisitions: The basic step of CDTrequires collecting details related to the development, testing and context of a software or app.
- Planning in advance: Once project detail is understood, test plan should immediately be skeletonized. The test plan should have details of what all the planned results and expected results are.
- Adjust test plan with real time changes: The present world of software development is temporal and ever changing. With time, schedules, requirement and a lot of other entities alter. So, the test plan should adapt accordingly and ensure maximum test coverage.
- Completion standards should be clear: The standards which decide the completion of a project should be clear and should involve affirmation from end users as well.
- Flexibility in application of rules: Sometimes, it becomes impossible to get proper details of a project or plan test cases in advance or set completion standards. Context Driven Testingis expected adapt to such situations because of its flexible nature.
Testing techniques developed in accordance of Context Driven Testing are:
Exploratory Testing: In this type of testing approach, it becomes the responsibility of a tester to optimize the quality of the software or app. The approach of this testing circles around ‘How’ (as in how the software will work, how it will ensure proper working in case of immediate entity alteration or amends). To achieve the effectiveness of the testing technique, pair testing and session based testing are being introduced. This type of testing is effective when requirements and specifications are incomplete or the project is time-deficient.
Gray Box Testing: Gray Box Testing is a combination of White Box Testing (internal or unit) and Black Box (external)testing. It is specifically used to find out application-based or structural defect. In this testing, intelligent test scenarios are handled such as data type handling, exception handling etc. It affirms the conditional report of the project. In case of any changes, rerunning of test cases is implied. It is prioritized over any other testing technique for web applications.
Challenges with Context Driven Testing
- Testers cannot merely fail with Context Driven Testing when dealing with high risk projects. If the tester makes such mistakes, s/he is inviting some appalling letdown because of laissez-faire testing heuristics.
- Context Driven Testing is not good for stable, predictable and repeatable projects; using it in such cases would be a waste of resources.
gomadeindia is continuously working on innovations and investing in quality assurance in software testing. Many leading organizations have relied on our specialist in software testing services for over years. Partnering with a specialist QA service can help you readily adapt to the latest trends in testing. Know more on how you can benefit from gomadeindia’ specialized services.